Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Almost-Vegan Rican

I'll kick this blog off by giving future readers this fair warning: I am not perfect. That said, neither is my diet. But I am trying, and that is precisely what this blog will be about. After a lifetime of poor eating habits, my partner and I have decided to go the vegetarian route. We have tried every diet from Deal-a-Meal (the oldies in the crowd will remember it) to Atkins and Paleo. I am not saying that some may not work, they just never "stuck" for us.  Our decision to become vegetarians didn't come out of health concerns alone. We are animal lovers. From the start of our relationship, almost 17 years ago, we have never shared our lives with less than at least two dogs at any given time. They are our children. Our friends.

As we become more and more aware of the cruelty and atrocities committed by factory farming it has become harder and harder for us to separate our animals from the rest of the animal kingdom. If our pets have souls (and, call me crazy, but I believe they do), why wouldn't other animals as well? We simply have reached a point in our lives at which we can no longer go on supporting such heartless industries.

We are aware that sketchy practices spill onto even some "cruelty-free" sources of dairy, but as I said at the start of this post: I am not perfect. As of now we have been vegetarians for two weeks. That means no meat, chicken, pork or fish. We gave a freezer-ful away to neighbors. There are eggs still in our fridge, but I suspect they will expire before we might consider consuming them. In the past two weeks we have used a combination of vegan and real cheese. Also non-vegan mayonnaise and real butter. So... baby steps.

All in all, I don't think that's entirely too shabby for two 40-something guys who just two weeks ago were chomping down on some big juicy T-bone steaks. One of them (guilty!) gnawing on the bone like a modern day caveman. We are striving to go as vegan as possible, but will not beat ourselves up over not not achieving perfection. We're glad for every bit of animal suffering we manage to diminish along the way.

I have decided to start this blog so that I can share with others who might be on the same path our progress and experiences. I will share recipes I try and especially those I create. There will never be bashing of meat-eaters on this blog. I am not here to nag others. I refuse to be "that guy".  I am only here to do what I believe is best for my partner and myself (and perhaps some animals along the way).

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on diving right in, John! I'm so glad to see another vehicle for your wonderful writing. This is a very thoughtful post, and describes my path to veganism in many ways. I'm right there with you -- not perfect by any means, but striving to do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Martha. I think this could turn out to be a fun/helpful blog for those of us who are striving, but not quite all the way Vegan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!!! we became pescetarians 2 years ago... I am leaning more and more towards vegetarian with the ultimate goal to be vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making a conscious decision of embarking on the vegetarian lifestyle... as a fellow Boricua, our culture does not lend itself to vegetarianism, but the world is awaking into more natural and healthier ways of nourishing our bodies and minds. Where are you now based??? I know you have a Trader Joe's nearby... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree regarding our culture not lending itself to vegetarianism. I am enjoying taking on the challenge. I am currently in Northern VA. Trader Joe's is one of my favorite stores. :-)

      Delete