Thursday, April 17, 2014

Vegan Arroz con Habichuelas y Chorizo

No Puerto Rican diet is complete without rice and beans. We eat it with just about anything. Arroz Junto (together rice) is what we call it when we cook the rice together with the beans and just about any other ingredients you might wish to add into the mix (usually beans and shrimp or chorizo). 

Puerto Ricans are masters of "pauper" meals. We may find ourselves out of a job from time to time and we might have to scrape our pennies together to make the bills when things get tough, but we will seldom go without delicious food in our tummies. Arroz Junto is a great example of that. It is satisfying AND cheap...and most importantly delicioso!


Vegan Arroz con Habichuelas & Chorizo

Ingredients:
2 cups long grain rice
2 cups water
2 Soy Chorizo (I use Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo)
1 can red beans (drained)
4 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 cup Goya Recaito
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp dried epizote
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
1-2 packets Goya Sazon (to taste)
1 handfull manzanilla olives (or go crazy if you love them!)

1. Remove chorizo "meat" from casing and set aside.
2. Heat oil in caldero.
3. Add chorizo to caldero and brown for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Add all other ingredients (except for rice and water) and stir.
5. When mixture begins to boil add rice and water and stir.
6. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20 minutes covered.
7. Uncover and stir. If rice is not yet tender, continue to cook until desired tenderness.

Great served with a side salad! Another idea is to serve as a burrito filling with vegan or cheddar cheese and sour cream (or alternative) and shredded lettuce, tomatoes and raw diced onions.
Serves about 6 (normal servings). Less if you go for seconds (or thirds) like I do.

3 comments:

  1. I promise I'm going to make this! I'll let you know how it is. (I always have my omnivore hubby try my vegetarian/vegan dishes and he's always surprised how much he likes them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you grow up calling this Arroz Junto?? In the San Juan Metro Area, where I live and was raised, we call it Arroz Mamposteao. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born in and lived in Bayamon til I was 12. We always called it Arroz Junto. That's so funny, I never heard it called Mamposteao.

      Delete