Monday, May 5, 2014

Front Yard Veggie Garden

This weekend I finally got around to planting my summer veggie garden. I usually plant mid-April, but we've had some crazy weather in Northern Virginia this year. There is too much shade in our current backyard for me to succesfully grow any sun-loving plants so I have to do it out front, where space is more limited. I look forward to a much larger vegetable garden and more flexible warmer planting zone in the near future.



This will be a bit of a hectic summer for us so I kept things a bit simpler this time around. I planted 5 varieties of tomatoes; Roma, Pink Brandywine, Better Boy, Mr. Stripey and Lemon Boy. Herb-wise, purple and Thai basil are two things I can't go without.


I also can't go without cucumbers, but in years past they didn't do as well at this location so I opted to put them in containers this year. Aside from herbs I haven't done much container gardening, so it's a bit of an experiment for me. I rigged the containers to allow the vines to climb. I also planted yellow bell pepper in a pot.

Happy gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment