Saturday, January 31, 2015

Game Day Philly Cheese "Steak" Hoagies

The big game is coming and that means...

Who am I kidding? I don't watch sports that don't involve costumes or choreography...or ice skates. The last time I tuned in to the Super Bowl or any sports event was to watch Prince perform the halftime show. But I do eat (a lot) and one of the things I loved when I was still a meat-eater was a big juicy cheese steak dripping with onions. 

So in seasonal spirit we'll call these "game day" hoagies, but they're really just any day hoagies.

Ingredients:

-1 8 oz package of Seitan strips, cut into finer strips
- 4 hoagie/sub rolls
-1 1/2 medium onion, cut into very fine rings
-1 package portabella/baby bella mushrooms, sliced
-Provolone cheese, as much as you want
-2 tbsp veggie Worcestershire sauce, or to taste 
-3 or 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
-1 tbsp oregano
-3 cloves garlic chopped
-salt and black pepper to taste (I snuck in a bit of Adobo while cooking the seating, just because it's full of deliciousness and I use it for almost everything I cook.)




1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat half of the oil in skillet and sauté onions until translucent (or they begin to brown) then add mushrooms. Add Worcestershire sauce and cook for about 5-7 minutes then set aside in a bowl.
3. Add the remaining oil to the heated skillet and saute the garlic, quickly adding the seitan. Add spices. Here is where I snuck in the Adobo and a bit more Worcestershire sauce. 
4. After 5-7 minutes of cooking (stir often), add the onions and mushrooms and mix. Cook just 2-3 minutes longer and set aside. 



5. I'm not going to tell you how to slice the rolls, because if you can read this, you have surely sliced one at some point in your life and me telling you would be both unnecessary and insulting. But I will tell you to take the filled rolls and partly wrap them in aluminum foil. Insert cheese and shove the whole thing (on a cookie tray) into the oven for about 5 minutes or until they look as toasty as you want them to. 


This made 4 hoagies, all of which my partner and I ingested. Do not judge us. A lot of folk would have just one but with a side of fries or potato salad. We had no sides...so there!

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment