Monday, October 6, 2014

Vegan Un-stuffed Stuffed Cabbage

File this one under "Hotel Cooking Challenges".
My partner and I are currently mid-move to our new home. His contract in Virginia was unexpectedly extended until the end of this month so here we are in a "charming" Extended Stay America for a few more weeks. A friend who recently had a similar experience asked me if I was working with one of those kitchens that belongs in her daughters' doll house...maybe, if it had an oven and a few more pots.

So what vegetarian/vegan delights can I whip up in this 2 range/2 pot kitchen? Last night I attempted Un-stuffed Stuffed Cabbage. A high school friend posted a recipe a few weeks back. I was reminded of how much I love stuffed cabbage and how long it's been since I had it so I decided to tweak it a bit and make it vegan.

Fair warning:
Some of the photos in the weeks to come might not be magazine-ready given the circumstances. I do guarantee that pretty or not, I will not post a photo of anything unless my culinary adventure was a success and the result was YUM!


Vegan Un-Stuffed Stuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:
-1 lb vegan/vegetarian "beef" crumbles
-1 tbs oil
-1 medium/large onion chopped
-1 small cabbage, chopped
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1-2 14.5 can (I used 1 1/2) diced tomatoes
-1 8oz can tomato sauce
-1 cup water
-1 vegetable bullion
-1 tbs Goya Adobo Light (or to taste)
-black pepper to taste
-2-3 cups cooked white (or brown) rice

1. In skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Sauté until translucent, then add garlic and beef crumbles. Season the beef with Adobo. Brown, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes. 
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil (add water or diced tomatoes as needed and to taste). Cover and simmer on low/med low for about 20 minutes, stirring ocassionally. You will know it's done as soon as the cabbage is tender.

Enjoy!



1 comment: